Friday, January 13, 2006

Political Chat

On the surface, any work environment seems harmless enough. You stay somewhere long enough and you learn all the dirty secrets. Yet, it didn't take long for me to discover that a die-hard liberal (me) was out of place in a sea of ultra conservatives. To my dismay, I was under the misconception that educational institutions were generally open minded and liberal in their views. Silly hen.

At lunch yesterday, I happened to meet up with one of the faculty members in the break room. Now I was prepared for a silent meal since this faculty member is reserved and a bit stiff at times. So I smiled and she struck up a conversation about an article she read. The article isn't relevant but she continued to talk (very quietly) about the latest news the media was reporting. She was referring to Judge Alito and the questioning for his nomination. Basically she and I are disturbed about Judge Alito's affiliation with an organization from Princeton that sought to limit women and minorities admittance to the college. Still I think I am even more disturbed at the thought of Roe v. Wade being overturned. Heck if that happens, I may have to become politically active (shiver).

So here we are, two educators chatting politics and worried we might be overheard by someone in administration. If that isn't a sad state of affairs, then I don't know what! Despite the secret discussion, I was pleasantly surprised to find another hidden liberal. Who knows maybe there are more in our midst?




No comments: